Reduce the stress for a test

Finals are nearing and everyone's buckling down to study.

Berenice Lazaro, Staff writer

Paper flipping, pencil gripping, tired eyes and weary minds, desks lamps are on, is something wrong? Maybe, but you need to continue on! Students are in a flurry to finish any unfinished tasks in order to fully understand all the material they learned in class. Finals are drawing closer for the Round Lake High School students, and this piece itself has come from an antsy worried students wishing for the best of what’s to come from the new grading system where even an A can’t make a student exempt. 

Both Round Lake High School students and teachers have some tips and The Blaize and a few of them weigh in on how to conquer the crippling anxiety that often comes with finals time. Without further ado, let’s get those nerves settled.

Don’t procrastinate. “I have been face down in a book almost in tears contemplating life or death while faced with a paper to write after procrastinating down to 24 hours left,” said Jeffrey Baird a psychology teacher at RLHS. The best way to avoid procrastination is to review the units that have been taught as much as possible, and when an assignment has a due date, don’t wait until the day before, work on bits of the assignment every day. If you genuinely  have trouble memorizing vocab or certain terms that makes you discouraged to study, find a way that helps like trying mnemonic devices such as Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. Even the peg word system might help which associates words with a number like one is a bun or two is a shoe.

Manage that time! Time management is a huge factor in lowering a person’s stress over testing. According to Method Test Prep, a test prep company that offers both online and face-to-face tutoring for the SAT and ACT, teens who practice time management have less stress. 

Take some advice from Fatima Marquez, a junior at RLHS who juggles work, volleyball, and AP classes. “I go home and go straight to doing my homework,”Marquez said. Her dedication to a schedule means she’s not sweating finals. “I treat the final just like any other day of a test,” she said. “I use what I can to studyflashcards, videos, articles and ask questions to things I don’t know.” Prepare for the subject as much as possible, so make sure to clarify any problem faced in a subject.

Be sure to take breaks from long study sessions. According to Psych Central, the Internet’s largest and oldest mental health social network, it has been proven that after a while you begin to lose focus on a task and your ability to perform the task begins to decline. Bryan Rolfsen an AP biology teacher at RLHS also suggests taking a break to de-stress. “When the weather is nice, I like to ride my bike to and from school. It helps a lot to clear my head.” Unwind and take a break with exercise or even breathing exercises to center yourself and calm your body.

Understand that teachers are stressed out too. That means that bombarding them with questions about how to raise your grade is not going to do much in your favor. Try to be polite and work with teachers as much as you can. Remember, it was your lack of work ethic that got you to this point in the first place. Turn in what work you have completed and hope that the work you will turn is the best that it can be

“Preparation does not start the day of the test or even before the test, it starts in the classroom” said Baird, “ I get a good workout to relieve any stress, eat a good meal,  and the most important part is getting a full eight to ten hours of sleep.”

Take some of these tips into consideration and your finals week will be just fine!