Students Are Forced to Break Through Dams in the School Hallways

Students at Round Lake High School struggle to get to class on time, but they must overcome human roadblocks in the hallways to do so.

As students are trying to get to class, they have to slowly push themselves through a literal human wall.

Eirini Vourloumis for The New York Times

Imagine rushing through the hallways to get to your class within the allotted five-minute passing period, but just when you’re about to get to your half way point to your class, three girls and two boys stand right in front of you to talk, blocking you from your pathway. When you finally get past these people, the bell has already rung and you are forced to go to a security guard for a tardy pass. The white tongue that the machine spits out is longer than most normal passes and that’s because it has detention information on it and your heart sinks as you realize the inevitable truth—you have received another detention.

Many students have been late due to a number of people that stop in the middle of the school hallways at Round Lake High School. RLHS has had this problem for many years and it is not changing at all, even with the expansion. Many people don’t care, including the students that stand in the middle of the hallways, but there are a number of people who do. Students have gotten detention after detention because other students don’t care about their education and stand in the middle of the hallway to socialize.

“I think it’s really annoying because there are some people who have classes that are on the other side of the school and it’s not efficient if they act as human roadblocks,” said Sophomore Cathrina Angeles. For the two whole years that she has attended RLHS, the problem of human roadblocks has been persistent.

“Some people don’t know where they are going so they stop and build up traffic and some of the seniors don’t care because they are leaving so they purposely take their time and block traffic,” said graduate from RLHS, Codey Graaf. This just proves to show that this issue has not changed and people have had issues with it for a very long time.

“They tend to annoy me because they are talking in the middle of the hall or just standing there or being slow,” Sophomore RLHS Angie DeCarlo said. “However, I’m also a contributor to this issue, but it’s still irritating,”

A solution to this issue would be for the security guards and teachers to say something to break up the hordes of socialization and get them to class, or to just remind them that others are being affected by their rudeness. The students being told that may cause them to realize that they need to hurry up or move on from socializing to class. The problem can also be resolved by students having the common courtesy to keep on moving in the hallways so they aren’t late and neither are anyone else.

Just remember that if you stand in the middle of the hallway and block traffic, you are not the only one being affected by this. Not only are you possibly getting yourself in some kind of trouble, but you may be making others late, forcing them to pay unnecessary consequences.