“Marvel”-ous Movie

"Captain Marvel" is filled with plot twists, comedy, and a super-cool alien cat.

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Marvel”-ous Movie

Brie Larson stars as

Brie Larson stars as "Captain Marvel."

Marvel Studios

Brie Larson stars as "Captain Marvel."

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Brie Larson stars as "Captain Marvel."

Michelle Polanco, Staff Writer

March is the month where women around the world are appreciated for how they impact the world and different  generations. Marvel Studios acknowledged the month by releasing “Captain Marvel,” which features the first female lead superhero.”Captain Marvel” was released March 8, 2019.

Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios president, announced “Captain Marvel” would be released July 14, 2018, but due to some conflicts, the date was pushed back to March 2019. “Captain Marvel” has proven a huge hit for Marvel Studios, receiving an 80 percent fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes and pulling in $153 million domestically and $455 million globally, according to The Boston Globe.

“Captain Marvel” is about a former air force pilot agent named Carol Danvers (Brie Larson), who followed her dreams of space exploration working for NASA. Things take a turn for the worse, however, when she is transformed to human-Kree hybrid with extraordinary powers.

It is true that Captain Marvel wasn’t always a woman. In the original “Captain Marvel” comic book (known as “SHAZAM” when it was first published in 1939), the main character was a young boy named Billy Batson, who inherited amazing and indestructible powers whenever he said the word, “Shazam!” However, some legal issues eventually caused Marvel to give “Shazam” over to DC in 1953, and then creators made another Captain Marvel, who was the alter-ego of Dr. Walter Lawson. The female Captain Marvel debuted in 1977, according to online pop culture magazine Complex

“Captain Marvel” showed a lot of themes that most of humanity can related to. An example of this is home, when Captain Marvel didn’t know who she was or where she came from. And yet, she fought against evil to protect a home she wasn’t totally sure about because of all the friends she’d made along the way. 

Overall, the movie was really exciting. Aside from how cool it is to see a female superhero lead, there were good plot twists, and some of the comedy in this movie was really funny. It is definitely a movie worth watching. 

Michelle Polanco, Staff Writer

Michelle Polanco is a busy student here at Round Lake High School. Right now, she can’t wait to pass Driver’s Ed., so she can be on her way to getting...