Michael Cohen: Taking Down the President?

President Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen is accusing Trump of some serious crimes.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Jade Wright, Staff Writer

It is no surprise that President Donald Trump is always in the headlines of every newspaper and news station across America. Now, not only is the President getting more recognition for his misdoings, but his former lawyer Michael Cohen is turning on Trump and accusing him of crimes. As of May 2018, Cohen was under criminal investigation for tax invasions, tax crimes, and supposedly lying to Congress, and was sentenced to a three-year prison term. That all changed in a blink of an eye as Cohen managed to push back his prison term by testifying against the President on Capitol Hill.

On both Feb. 26 and March 6, Cohen testified to the House Intelligence Committee with documents to help provide evidence for his multiple confessions. According to multiple news sources, the records state that the Trump Administration was trying to pursue a project known as the Trump Tower Project, that was presented once in the 2016 campaign. The plan was the President’s attempt to have a tower made in Moscow, Russia. During Cohen’s testimony, allegations informed that Jay Sekulow, President Trump’s former personal lawyer, had made changes on how long the Trump Tower project was going to take. Cohen also opened up about the WikiLeaks scandal, as well as how he was ordered by Trump to keep his high school grades and SAT scores private.

While Cohen’s long list of allegations can be hard to keep track of, there is one thing for certain: This testimony seems to have only widened the gap between Democrats and Republicans. According to hearing transcripts posted on “The Atlantic,” Cohen even called out Republicans for not asking enough questions, saying: “I just find it interesting, sir, that between yourself and your colleagues that not one question so far since I’m here has been asked about President Trump. That’s actually why I thought I was coming today—not to confess the mistakes that I’ve made.”

One of Round Lake High School’s government teachers, Mr. Doug Barnshaw, gave his own statement on the overall issue in the White House: “The biggest problem in society is that everyone rushes to judgment on everything based on sound bytes, editorialized news, and social media bombardment, which leads people to create opinions usually based on more emotions than on evidence,” he said. In today’s world, everyone is quick to judgment without fully understanding what is broadcasting and would rather listen to fake news on social media instead of taking the time to watch it on TV. That is why it is important for  high schoolers to start taking politics more seriously. 

“High School students should follow the government, but with using a deliberative approach, they will feel much more empowered and connected to society,” Barnshaw said. It is very important that students get more involved in politics because everyone has a voice and the freedom to express their opinions certain issues.