Filed under School News

Homecoming Week Events

Students celebrate Western day for RLHS's homecoming week 2018.

Dianira Ruvira

People of all different ages could be heard cheering and laughing as the marching band made its way about Cedar Lake Road on Saturday, September 29. Student Council hosted the parade and it marked the kickoff for Round Lake High School’s 2018 homecoming week.

All the hard work students put into making the parade didn’t mean their work was done when the parade ended. A variety of clubs stayed after to decorate the halls of RLHS. So please be sure to show some Panther pride and respect the halls.

RLHS is looking at a week with a schedule full of events. Spirit week, the powderpuff game, and Friday night’s football game will lead to Saturday night’s homecoming dance. Here is a day-by-day rundown of all the activities going on this week:

Monday, October 1: Panthers, start off the week with decade day! Dress up to represent a favorite decade in history. Whether it’s leg warmers and funky colors or varsity jackets and long skirts, decade day is the day to show creativity!

Tuesday, October 2:  Saddle up and arrive to school in your Western gear. Get ready to giddy up into a full day of learning on Western Day!

Wednesday, October 3: It’s time for the powderpuff game! Show up to school wearing class colors. The freshman vs. sophomore game starts at 4:00 p.m. while the junior vs. senior game starts at 5:00. These games should prove pretty interesting as full arm extension blocking is permitted this year. One of the powderpuff coaches, physics and biology teacher Mr. Donald Trinitie, said he places his bets on the sophomore team.“The sophomores will beat the freshmen with ease,” Trinite said. Think the juniors will beat the seniors? Trinitie believes otherwise: “Seniors will dismantle  the juniors’ game plan by watching game film of Mr. Wisler in his college days.”

Thursday, October 4:  After Wednesday’s game, come to school all dressed in blue and maize to show some Panther pride! RLHS’s volleyball team will also be playing Grayslake Central. Check out the freshmen and sophomore team at 5:00 p.m. and the varsity team at 6:30 p.m.

Friday, October 5: Finally Friday! The last day of the week calls for a day full of activities, starting off with the pep rally that will be held during the school day. Look forward to competitions, games and surprises! Student council designed special t-shirts with a Hawaiian scene to help celebrate this year’s homecoming theme. The shirts can be purchased for $10. Contact student council advisor Mrs. Dani Navarro. She will be happy to help with any questions as she’s looking forward to “a week full of school spirit.” Be sure to check out the football game as well, with the Panthers facing off Antioch. The freshman team will play at 5:00 p.m., followed by varisty at 7:30 p.m. You could also head over to Waukegan and cheer on our boys’ soccer team. All soccer games start at 4:30 p.m. 

Saturday, October 6: The week isn’t over yet! Saturday marks the homecoming dance, tickets will be sold starting Wednesday at $15. Please note that any student with unserved detentions will not be allowed to attend the dance.

Come on out and show your  Panther pride at events like the powderpuff and football games! Make sure to come to Saturday night’s homecoming dance! Come alone, with friends or a date, homecoming is a night for all! Aloha Mai, Panthers!