Join the Club!

No matter what you're interests, there's sure to be a club for you at RLHS.

Students gather in a circle to start their meeting. Sister to Sister meets on Thursdays.

Jade Wright

Jade Wright

Paola Bahena, Staff Writer

To any student in a club, it’s no doubt that participation in extracurricular activities has a positive correlation to students’ lives in high school.  According to the source National Center for Educational Statistics, which is a source that shows statistics about students in high school, 30.6% of students who participate in extracurricular activities have a  3.0 GPA or higher and 50.4% of those students have no unexcused absences. Not only that, but clubs look good on college transcripts, help students meet new friends, and they also help students learn new things.

Round Lake High School students are in luck when it comes to getting all those benefits because there are plenty of clubs offered. Let’s take a look at just a few available:

Allied Sports/Panther Pals

Meeting times: Once a week TBD and there are games once a week

Sponsor: Ms. Patricia Kolodziej   

Allied Sports/Panther Pals provides opportunities for students with disabilities to participate in an athletic program. The goal is for students to create new friendships and to help establish a greater sense of belonging to the RLHS community. Students are coached by Round Lake High School staff and are assisted by a group of their peers. Student partners, known as Panther Pals, are part of the program at practices,games, and other activities. Allied Sports/Panther Pals runs from the fall season where allied students bowl together, and in spring season where allied students play soccer together. RLHS’s allied bowling team has won the conference for two years in a row. The Allied Sports/Panther Pals are always looking for good student volunteers, so no experience in either sport is needed. Check in with Ms. Kolodziej for more information if you’re interested.

Bass Fishing

Meeting times: Thursdays in the fall + weekend fishing trips

Sponsor: Mr. Joe Fleischauer

The mission of Bass Fishing Club is to preserve, protect and enjoy the outdoors by possessing virtues consistent with responsible sportsmen and competitive fishermen.  Bass Fishing learns seasonal fishing patterns and practices casting during the week in the fall, but Fleischauer says they will also meet one to two days a week in the spring as well. Bass Fishing Club will participate in sectional and conference fishing tournaments on the Fox Chain in the spring. “We hope to grow the clubs as well as the sport of bass fishing so that more students can experience the outdoors more often,”said Fleischauer.

Future Medical Panthers

Meeting Times: Thursdays, 3:30-5:00 p.m. in room B305

Sponsors: Mrs. Stephanie Carlson and  Mrs. Suzanne Marshalla

Future Medical Panthers is a club where students who are interested in the healthcare industry and would like to pursue a career in the healthcare. Students will get to enhance their knowledge of anatomy and physiology, learn about the different careers in healthcare and do general science lab experiments such as writing and conducting their own experiments. At meetings, students also play games, talk about fundraising opportunities, and do experiments. Sometimes speakers come into talk to club members about various medical careers. The club is planning on hosting a candy-gram fundraiser this winter. Other activities include a possible field trip, and the club will dissect cats at the end of school year.

Game Club

Meeting Times: Wednesdays, 3:30-5:00 p.m. in room H313   

Sponsor: Mr. David Hinz

Game Club is where students come together to play board games, card games, and even video games. Students hang out all around the room in small groups playing different games. Club sponsor Mr. David Hinz is enthusiastic about members joining: “We want to see you here,” he said.  “The more the merrier! No fear if you’ve never played a game, we’ll be happy to teach you!”

Gay Straight Alliance

Meeting Times: Wednesdays 3:30-5:00 p.m.

Sponsor: Ms.Kristine Davis

The Gay Straight Alliance’s mission is to provide a  supportive environment for students in the LGBTQIA community, as well as their allies. At the beginning of every meeting, sponsors check in with students and make sure they are receiving the support they need. After that, they discuss events and how plan for them. Finally, they discuss or do an activity involving advocacy and self-empowerment. October is LGBTQ history month, so listen to the morning announcements for upcoming events and special meetings. “ We just got started and hope to do a lot of fun activities throughout the year,” said sponsor Davis. “We are looking for new members and open to ideas.”

National Honor Society

Meeting Times: Every other Thursday at 7:15 in the library

Sponsor: Mr. Peter Pettorini

National Honor Society is dedicated to service and volunteerism. Each student participates in service activities throughout the year. In a regular meeting, NHS discusses upcoming volunteer opportunities and discusses how members can help the local community. NHS hosts two blood drives each year at RLHS. One is before winter break and the other one is toward the end of the school year. NHS also works with the Ingleside YMCA and the local Rotary Club to help with their Neediest Kids’ Christmas Party. “If there are volunteers needed in the community, then please let an NHS member or myself know; we’d love to help,” said sponsor Pettorini.

Opportunity Coalition

Meeting Times: TBD in room H301

Sponsor: Mr. Matt Howe

Opportunity Coalition helps students who usually aren’t involved in  extracurricular activities and/or in the community to get involved with volunteer opportunities. Round Lake High School sophomores, John T. Magee Middle School seventh graders, and Indian Hill Elementary fourth graders gather together to approach problems in the community. Opportunity Coalition meets five times a year at RLHS. During meetings students participate in ice breaker activities to get to know each other and then they get to work solving a community problem using their problem-solving skills. If you’re interested, the Opportunity Coalition will host an open house on May 10 where guest speakers will be in the gathering stairs and presentations will be held in the M Hall.

Panther Health and Wellness Club

Meeting Times: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays 3:30 p.m.-4:15 p.m. in the weight room

Sponsor: Ms. Nicole Segura

Panther Health and Wellness Club’s goal is to help encourage students to be active and healthy through physical fitness and nutrition. PHW allows students to improve their physical fitness and strength. Students participate in a group warm up that is appropriate to the workout for the day, then perform a strength movement and finally  the daily workout. The warm up, strength and workout can all be modified to meet the fitness needs of each student and focus is always on proper form.

Rhapsody

Meeting Times: Tuesdays, 4:00-5:00 p.m.

Sponsor: Mr. Robert Olson

Rhapsody is a student a cappella choir, which performs at various concerts throughout the school year. The choir also does a lot of caroling in the winter. Rhapsody in rehearsals are a mix of teacher-led full-group singing and student-led sectionals. Round Lake Choir students sang last year on the ABC7 Morning News, and usually sing at the Round Lake Beach Christmas tree lighting event.

Robotics Club

Meeting Times: Wednesdays 3:30-5:00 p.m. in room I-211

Sponsor: Mr. Charlie Adkins

Robotics Club works on designing and utilizing various forms of robotic systems, which includes vehicles, machines and drones. Students learn about programming and building. In Robotics Club, students usually practice flying the drone around and most days they have pizza or snacks.“It’s a great group of students, and we have a lot of fun,” said sponsor Adkins.

Scholastic Bowl

Meets Times: Thursdays and sometimes on Wednesdays and games are on Wednesdays  

Sponsor: Mr. Matt Howe

Scholastic Bowl is an academic team where students play against other schools and answer trivia questions. At a regular meeting, members of the team study some subjects they are interested in and then the team will practice their skills with mock games. Other meetins are spent settling in with board games or a game called GeoGuesser. The team has an annual Christmas party before winter break, and an end of the year awards show. “This year, Scholastic Bowl has started doing face painting at football games and other school events to show some Panther pride,” said Junior Jayda Delatorre, member of Scholastic Bowl.  

Sister To Sister

Meeting Times: Thursdays 3:30-5:00p.m. in room F302

Sponsor: Mrs. Micah Evans

Sister to Sister is a female  group that is open to all young ladies who want to develop a positive self-image for themselves and want to help the community. Sister to Sister meetings usually dedicate the first 30 minutes of each meeting to letting members discuss their goals and how to achieve them. After that, members do activities such as making vision boards, watching documentaries, taking virtual field trips to help young women learn about the world around them. Sometimes guest speakers come in to offer guidance and motivation. “Sister to Sister is a dynamic group of young women who are unstoppable,” said sponsor Evans.

SOMOS

Meeting Times: Tuesdays, 3:30 p.m. in room N104

Sponsor: Mr. Raul Rodriguez

SOMOS is  to help latinx students explore their own culture and to help other latinx students. SOMOS starts with a small talk of what they will do for the day and then they work in their groups. After a club meeting, executive board members come in to discuss to help plan for the upcoming weeks and brainstorm about possible events and activities. SOMOS helps the community by doing  small activities to promote Hispanic Heritage Month, doing “Letters For Santa” for elementary students, host dance lessons, and help coordinate and run the Senior Graduation Walk through the elementary schools. “Our main priority is to effect change and encourage students to state what they want to change about their high school experience,” said Mr. Raul Rodriguez, sponsor of SOMOS.  

Speech Team

Meeting Times: TBD in room D320

Sponsor: Mrs. Sharon Aiello

Speech Team competes during the season in 14 different events that are in 3 categories: Acting,Public Address, and Limited Preparation. Speech Team got fifth place at the NLCC Tournament and last year everybody was placed in the finals at the regional.

Student Council

Meeting Times: Wednesdays, 3:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m. in room M201

Sponsors: Mrs. Danielle Navarro, Mrs. Tracy Balla, and Ms. Anna Veksler

Student Council is great club to help  spread school spirit and to get involved in the school’s activities and to help the community. Student Council’s meetings usually involve a game of some sort to get students to know each other, then elected officers run the meeting to deal with club business, and then finally they end with a project that needs to be completed. Student Council organizes the homecoming festivities,the formal dance, and prom, they organize cafeteria games and they also organize events for the community.

Tri-M

Meeting Times: Every Other Wednesdays, in the band room

Tri-M, short for Modern Music Masters, is a music service organization. Students need to maintain a certain GPA in music and other classes, as well as complete musical service hours throughout the year. At regular meetings, students plan out upcoming events related to musical service. Tri-M organizes Singing Valentines every February, provides carolers during holiday season, and promotes “Music In Our Schools Month” through karaoke in the lunchroom, concerts, and decorations through the school.

From all this information, it can be said that there are alot of clubs students can choose from  based on what their interests are. RLHS offers these clubs in order for students to get involved with the school, but most importantly for students to enjoy the club and to make memories during their high school life.

Paola Bahena, Staff Writer

Paola Bahena is a sixteen-year-old devoted junior at Round Lake High school. She enjoys listening to music, working out, writing and traveling in her...

Jade Wright, Staff Writer

Senior Jade Wright, is currently focusing on her last full year of high school. Now that she is about to graduate, she says that her biggest achievements...