Sexual Allegations towards Brett Kavanaugh

Brett Kavanaugh is clear for the Supreme Court and people are upset about it.

wikipedia

President Donald Trump was planning on nominating Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court on July 9. The plan was for Kavanaugh to replace retiring  Justice Anthony Kennedy. Kavanaugh’s nomination had been put on hold after allegations of sexual assault. After a hearing, Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court on Oct. 6.

Weeks after President Trump’s decision, on July 30, Christine Blasey Ford, a psychology professor in California, had sent a letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein alleging Kavanaugh physically and sexually assaulted her while they were in high school. The case has left the nation reflecting on issues of sexual assault and victim blaming, and it has caused even more divide among Democrats and Republicans.

Even if the assault happened during Ford’s and Kavanaugh’s high school years, Americans were split between if senators should vote to confirm Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. Thirty-eight percent of Americans polled said yes, he should be confirmed and 39% who said no, according to a CNN poll.

“Well, I think the accusation is true, I don’t care how long ago it happened,” said Ms. Anna Veksler, who teaches current events at Round Lake High School.  “I think he should not be held in public office. He should not be on your highest court if the allegation is true.”

President Trump has made remarks defending his Supreme Court nominee: “Why didn’t someone call the FBI 36 years ago?” Trump said while in an interview with Sean Hannity of Fox News. President Trump is also showing his support for Kavanaugh on social media. “The Democrats are working hard to destroy a wonderful man, and a man who has the potential to be one of our greatest Supreme Court Justices ever,” he tweeted. 

Trump also mocked Blasey Ford during a political campaign rally Oct. 2. Many people are upset with what he said, and several Republican senators told reporters they disagreed with how Trump is handling the situation.

The accusations against Kavanaugh have become such a big issue between the Democrats and Republicans because the Supreme Court is the highest judicial court in a country or state. The Supreme Court has the power to review decisions made by the president or Congress. In the past, the Supreme Court has ruled on cases involving the Defense of Marriage Act and the Affordable Care Act, so its decisions have direct impact on many American citizens.  

Democrats have been upset by how Republicans are handling the matter. They object that Republicans have not taken the accusations seriously and rushed the hearing to confirm Kavanaugh. To the Republicans’ defense, they see that despite the political risk, this nomination could be the “last chance to cement a conservative majority on the Supreme Court for a generation,” according to New York Times’ reporter Carl Hulse in his article “Republicans See Kavanaugh and the Court as Worth the Risk,” which was published Sept. 28. 

In the article, Hulse writes, “…should Judge Kavanaugh stall and Democrats somehow take back the Senate in the midterm elections that are only six weeks away, Republicans could lose a historic opportunity to remake the high court because Democrats could block any nomination by President Trump.”

Sen. Orrin G. Hatch, Republican of Utah demanded the Judiciary Committe to vote on the matter Sept. 28. Kavanauh was confirmed, leaving many people very angry.

Kavanaugh now has to face another allegation from a woman named Deborah Ramirez, who attended Yale University with Kavanaugh. She claims during a party he was drunk and had thrusted his privates into her face. Ramirez claims he had even laughed at her and insisted the FBI to investigate the incident. Since the allegation, the FBI has spoken with Ramirez on Sept. 30, and she gave them names of witnesses.  

As for now Brett Kavanaugh has a green card and will continue his nomination for the Supreme Court.

Angela Lee Tucker, Staff Writer

Seventeen-year-old Angela Lee Tucker is a shy junior at Round Lake High School. Angela may be shy, but she is also kind and she has a motherly instinct...