Seniors Out: Graduation!

All+over+RLHS%2C+are+anxiously+awaiting+that+moment+they+cross+the+stage+and+grab+their+diploma.+
All over RLHS, are anxiously awaiting that moment they cross the stage and grab their diploma.

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

Daniela Zavala

As the school year comes to a close, students begin to count down to the beginning of summer and plans fill their agendas for break. As for the seniors, they are not only making plans, but they are getting ready to say goodbye to the school that they called home for the last 4 years.

Unlike other years, graduation for the class of 2018 will be held at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, Ill. Seniors will end their high school career in the multi-purpose 11,000- seat arena. The graduation ceremony is set for Friday June 1, 2018 and is to begin at 7:00pm, but doors will be opened to families at 6:00 pm.

Graduation tickets were handed out May 2. Each senior was given six tickets for their family and friends. Additional tickets will also be available to purchase for the ceremony for $10. Tickets can be purchased in student services by Mrs.Schenk between the hours of 8am-3pm.

Another new tradition this year is the Senior Elementary School Graduate Walk, which will take place 10-11:30 am Tuesday, May 29. Seniors will wear their caps and gowns as they walk the hallways of their elementary and grade school. Seniors will be able to reunite with favorite grade-school teachers and encourage all the younger students.  If you’re a senior and your interested in attending, check your school email for a link for more information. There are also posters hanging up around the school with a QR code that will take you to a survey. You must fill out the survey to confirm your attendance. The deadline for sign-up is Thursday, May 24.

Although graduation feels like years away, it’s closer than people might think. Here’s a timeline of important dates:

May 21-22- Final exams for seniors will take place the week before graduation.

May 22- Final grades will be due and posted by 4pm.

May 24- Final cap and gown pick up in the main foyer during lunch hours. If you have any questions regarding orders, contact Jostens at (847) 818-8419. Senior check-out is also on this day. Counselors will be going to students’ English classes to collect locks and fill out final transcript requests for seniors. This is also the deadline for the Senior Elementary School Graduate Walk. 

May 29- Senior Elementary School Graduate Walk. You will meet at RLHS and buses will take you to the different elementary schools. Please remember, you must sign up ahead of time to participate in this event. 

May 31- The seniors’ class picture will be taken the day before graduation. Students must report to the football field by 9am. Depending on the weather, it could be moved to the main gym. After the class picture, seniors will be directed to the theater for a graduation practice meeting and will be shown a video regarding the graduation ceremony. “The video is in place of a physical practice,” said administrator Mr. Andrew Mcdowell. 

June 1- Seniors must be at the high school by 4pm to receive final instructions and to board buses to take students to the Sears Center. Students MUST ride the buses to the Sears Center, but do not need to ride them back. They will be able to leave with family after the ceremony. Transportation to the Sears Center will also be available for family members. The shuttle will depart from the high school from Door 1 (Main entrance) at 5pm.

Time is going by fast for the seniors! It’s really important to stay updated and know what is happening the last couple of days of high school!