RLHS Cheerleaders Raise Awareness

Back to Article
Back to Article

RLHS Cheerleaders Raise Awareness

The RLHS cheerleading team needs your pennies!

Pixabay

Pixabay

Pixabay

Jenifer Morales

Eight high school students were left suffering after fire pit explosion in Glendale Heights April 28.  The victims were having a bonfire when a gas can suddenly burst into flames. “Officers learned that several people were around a small fire when a juvenile boy poured the liquid on it, causing an explosion, according to the release,” wrote a Chicago Tribute reporter in the article” “Glenbard East HS says its students were among 8 injured in Glendale Heights fire pit explosion,” which was published April 30. Some of the injuries were extremely serious and called for facial surgery.

Many of the victims’ injuries are so extensive that they will be in the hospital for a long time, which will cause their families a lot of money. The Round Lake High School cheerleading team began a fundraiser for two Glenbard East High School cheerleaders, Korren Buchner and Alyssa Wolff, to receive surgeries.

The awareness could not have been planned without the help of RLHS cheerleading coach Ms. Megan McDonald and Coach Ms. Justine Cronin. The coaches knew the cheerleaders and they both decided to help them out.

Former RLHS Freshman Paula Pizano said, “I’m really glad the cheerleaders are helping out since [the victims] are gonna be in need multiple surgeries.”

The cheer squad hosted a penny war between May 9 and May 16 and raised $892. The freshman class won with the largest amount donated.  “We also had a very very generous donation from Mr. Mizwicki and his family,” said Coach Cronin.

Even more, so the support doesn’t stop there, there are other crowdfunding sites to help the other victims of the explosion here, here, and here