YouTube “Stars”

YouTubers can have positive and negative impacts on viewers.

Back to Article
Back to Article

YouTube “Stars”

Many videos are posted everyday, but some videos shouldn't be allowed on the Internet.

Olly Lennard

Olly Lennard

Olly Lennard

Jenifer Morales

Throughout the years, entertainment has changed dramatically with YouTube, which allows users to watch whatever videos they want whenever they want.  The introduction of YouTube also opens doors for fame seekers, as it gives many people a platform to perform. Some people believe that YouTubers shouldn’t be recognized because they don’t really have any talent and some of them post inappropriate things. While there are some advantages to YouTube, many people wonder if the videos are worth watching. This question is especially relevant with the controversy that came with one of Logan Paul’s most recent videos.

Logan Paul, who became famous through Vine and YouTube, recently took a trip to Tokyo, which he made several YouTube videos about. In one video, Paul and some friends take a tour of  the Aokigahara forest, which is located northwest side of Japan’s Mount Fuji. Aokigahara is also known as the Sea of Trees because of the incredibly tall trees that are in the forest. Aokigahara is also known as Suicide Forest because of the amount of suicides that take place.  At the entrance of many trails there are signs encouraging suicidal visitors to think of their families and get help through a suicide helpline. While on his tour of the Aokigahara forest, Paul witnessed a victim of suicide. He made some very unsympathetic remarks and seemed to make a joke of the whole thing, which caused a lot of people to get upset.

Paul eventually upload an apology video called “Suicide: Be Here Tomorrow.” In an article titled, “Logan Paul returns to vlogging after ‘suicide forest’ controversy,” reporter Megan Farokhmanesh discusses how after everything, Paul wants to make things better by donating money to suicide prevention organizations. In the article Farokhmanesh quotes Paul’s brother, Jake: “’Not only is he paying for it, but he is learning from it. I think in no way shape or form is suicide a joke or should be made fun of … He did not mean to offend anyone.'”

A recent study has shown that ages between 14-17 about 63% will mostly likely purchase a product or brand suggested by a YouTube influencer. Also, about 62% percent of the 18-24 age groups would buy a product or brand recommend by a YouTube star. The percentage of the studies proves that teenagers and young adults will buy almost anything a YouTuber “star” suggests.  That means that YouTubers have a lot of influence over their viewers, and if they are posting inappropriate things, they can greatly influence children.

In addition to inappropriate content, there is also the worry about what constant screen time will do to children who frequently watch YouTube. According to the Minnesota Department of Health, more than 60 percent of children under two use screen media and 43 percent watch television every day.”  That’s a lot of screen time, and it can eventually result in health problems. Again, the Minnesota Department of Health reported that “television and video games have been associated with obesity, and, conversely, children reduce television time also reduce their body mass index (BMI).”

“My little brother is two years old and he can’t even stay still or eat if he is not watching his little YouTube videos,” said Perla Ramirez, a sophomore at Round Lake High School. She believes YouTube can become an addiction for small children.  “We’re working for him not to keep watching YouTube 24/7,” said Ramirez.

In depth, YouTube is used for entertainment, comedy, and informing viewers. Since their actions can make a positive or negative difference , it’s important to understand how YouTube works and  that it can be harmful or  harmless depending on a person’s point of view.

Jenifer Morales, Staff Writer

Even though she's one out of over a thousand students here at Round Lake High School, Sophomore Jenifer Morales is not to be forgotten. Morales loves to...