Season’s Over, But Not Forgotten

Recap of the varsity football team here at Round Lake High School.

It%27s+astounding+to+see+how+one+football+can+bring+so+many+people+so+close+%0Atogether.+
It's astounding to see how one football can bring so many people so close 
together.

It's astounding to see how one football can bring so many people so close together.

skitterphotos.com

skitterphotos.com

Megan Smith, Staff Writer

This year’s varsity football season at Round Lake High School started off with spirits high and as the season went on, spirits were crushed, but the feeling of family remained among players, coaches, and sideline staff. Both the coaches and the athletes worked very hard this year, putting in practice time over the summer and everyday after school. Though not everyone made it through the season in one piece, they all persevered.

This year has been different from past years for the varsity football team. The Panthers had a 2-7 record this year, beating Proviso East with a score of 34-26 and Amundsen with a score of 42-14. It’s clear all the hard work they put into the season paid off. Although the Panthers did not take a 9-0 season, they never gave up and worked until the last second of the last Friday night football game.

Sports are something that usually causes injuries often, as almost every sports season has multiple injuries. Some injuries are less severe than others, but some injuries cause the athlete to be out for the whole season. As horrific as it is, this is what happened to Juan Ocampo, a junior on the RLHS football team who played tight end, linebacker, and defensive end this year, when he tore his labrum and needed to get surgery. “I don’t regret the season because I still made lifelong memories,” he said. Ocampo is still unsure if he will be doing football next year because he doesn’t want to injure his shoulder any further and have to get surgery again.

Although this season is over, the juniors are looking forward to next year’s season. Some are even doing winter sports to help them stay in shape for next year or even keeping up with their workouts at the gym. Manny Toscano, who played defensive tackle and kicker on varsity, is looking forward to next season saying, “A lot was left on the table for next year and all though we will be missing some brothers on the field, I know the support will be there.”