Round Lake’s Varsity Cheerleading Team: On the Road to Success

The Round Lake High School Varsity Team at the NCA cheer camp at Carthage College which was key to the Panthers success today.

Daniela Zavala

The Round Lake High School varsity cheerleading team is coming off their 2016-17 season, where it finished eighth at the Belvidere Cheer Sectional, ending their the competitive season season on a positive note.

Looking to take advantage of the new year, the Panthers are hungry for state. They have been practicing nonstop to showcase the new talent arriving on the team, as well as the abilities of returning members. The team is gearing up for its first competition Dec. 3 at Crystal Lake Central High School.

Head Coach Ms. Megan McDonald,  who is entering her second season coaching the varsity team, moved up six junior varsity members and two new additions to make up her competitive team of 17 for the 2017-18 season. The new varsity members have had no problem adjusting to the new atmosphere, as the team has seen nothing but progress compared to the start of their 2016-17 season. Senior Mariana Rojas said,“Being on JV and finally making varsity my senior year was super exciting, but extremely intimidating. I wasn’t sure if I had what it took to compete at a varsity level since I was lacking  [in certain areas]. I am super happy I have the chance to show my highest potential.”

Last year’s team ended the season just three spots away from making it to state, and that’s definitely a motivating factor for the team this year. Coach McDonald said,“Sure, we are going to have to work hard this year but that’s what placing takes…Working hard!”

Among those who are going to be working hard and stepping on the mats are: Freshmen Jacqueline Olles (flyer), who is new to the high school scene since she has only done all-star cheerleading before joining the team; Senior Ruby Cordova (flyer), who has been on the varsity team since she was a freshmen along with other teammates and Seniors Charla Ryan, Lidia Vityk, Brianna Negrete-McGinley, and Liz Campos. Other seniors include Jonathan Dominguez, Bianca Cordova, Daniela Zavala, Mariana Rojas, Cecilia Zuniga, Destinie Ramirez, and Janet Vargas. Juniors Mary West, Alondra Avelar, Alex Kolacz, and Mariana Galvez round out the team.

All of the players are very excited for what the new season holds. Senior Jonathan Dominguez said,  “I feel very enthusiastic and excited about this season. I feel like we are very advanced this year and we’ve been putting in the work to try and be the best. I think the fact that we have a chance to make it to state gives us more of a motivation to keep working and keep getting better.” 

The team has their first competition that kicks off the start of the competitive season on Dec. 3rd at Crystal Lake Central High school, following their middle school competition which they host, and their final December competition ending at Rolling Meadows High School.