It’s The Most Wonderful Time To DIY

Holidays+like+Thanksgiving+and+Christmas+are+a+perfect+time+to+try+out+some+DIY+projects.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s The Most Wonderful Time To DIY

Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas are a perfect time to try out some DIY projects.

Danielle Occhiogrosso

Danielle Occhiogrosso

Danielle Occhiogrosso

Coral Bridgman

Holiday DIY’s are extremely useful to make decorations, food, gifts, and anything else your heart desires. DIY (do it yourself projects) is a great way to save money and get the same results from something without spending nearly as much money. You’re probably thinking, “Ain’t nobody got time for that,” but that’s where you are wrong. Ms. Evelyn Edge, a chemistry and human sustainability teacher at Round Lake High School, manages to make things for herself and all the important people in her life, including her students. “I really got started using hacks when my concern for the environment increased,” Edge said.  “I used hacks to start making my own products, to find sustainable crafts and as a way to introduce students into sustainable hacks in life.”

There are tons of DIY ideas out there, and hopping on Pinterest could cause you to feel totally overwhelmed, so if you’re new to the DIY scene, it’s best to start small.  Clean and reuse items you’ve got at your home, and if you can’t get some of the materials at home, you can easily buy supplies at Dollar Tree, Walmart, or Micheal’s.  The Blaize has rounded up a few project ideas to get you started in the world of DIY:

Show Thanksgiving A Little Love

Thanksgiving is one of the most under appreciated holidays, as there are little to no decorations for it. After Halloween, everyone immediately switches to Christmas, but it’s time to shed some light on Thanksgiving. Here’s an idea to spruce up your table during this holiday gathering:

Pumpkin place cards

Supplies:

• Little pumpkins from Trader Joe’s or Walmart
  • Glitter (any color you like works fine!)
  • Crafting glue
  • Paint (white and gold are probably best to get that rustic-yet-glam aesthetic going)
  • Paper
  • Toothpicks

Steps:

1. Paint your pumpkins with the different colors how ever you’d like, solid or designs.
  2. Add the glitter to your pumpkin where ever you’d like and let dry.
  3. Make cute little name tags with paper, write the names and attach the name tag to the toothpick with glue or tape and stick the toothpick into the pumpkin, and now you’ve got pumpkin place cards.

Let’s Feast!

Gifts and decorations are cute and everything, but for most the best part of the holidays is the food and perhaps the most obvious (and delicious!) DIY project of all is baking. Mrs. Anne Tesnow, who teaches science at RLHS, enjoys making DIY food projects in her spare time for her family.. Tesnow’s favorite DIY food items are peppermint bark and chocolate covered pretzels. “You can really get creative with chocolate covered pretzels,” she said.

Peppermint Bark

Supplies:

• 30 Crushed peppermints
  • 11/2 Milk chocolate
  • 11/2 White chocolate
  • 1 tsp (teaspoon) Oil based peppermint flavoring

Steps:

1. Spread 1/3 of the peppermint candy over a 9×13-inch baking pan lined with wax paper.
  2. Melt the milk chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, just until melted. Pour the melted chocolate over peppermint candy in the prepared pan. Sprinkle another 1/3 of the candy on top of the milk chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes.
  3. Melt the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching. Stir in the oil-based peppermint flavoring. Pour the white chocolate over the milk chocolate, then spread the remaining 1/3 peppermint candy on top.
  4. Refrigerate until the white chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes. Cut or break into pieces to serve.

Give from the Heart

Gifts are pretty much forever and extremely meaningful, and since food is such a huge part of the holidays, why not combine the two with a simple jar and ingredients to any simple drink or snack? “My favorite DIY so far that I found was a Christmas present in which you filled mason jars with the ingredients for hot chocolate or apple cider, ” Edge said, noting that she used Pinterest to help her through the process.  Decorating the mason jar, makes it extra special because it can be reused as a Christmas decoration. For instructions and tips on how to put together this sweet treat, check out the blog Sprinkle Some Fun.

Whether you decide to whip up a batch of peppermint bark or make some special gifts and desserts, have a great holiday season getting in touch with your crafty side and staying eco friendly.

Coral Bridgman, Staff Writer

Coral Bridgman is a Senior at Round Lake High School. Bridgman is a member of choir but also loves color guard. One thing that she would change about herself...