Proms from the Past

As Round Lake High School students gear up for their own prom this Saturday, April 29, The Blaize asked some of our staff and teachers to share their memories from their proms. Take a look:

Photo Provided

Mr. LaChance: “I went to prom in 1985 with my girlfriend, Jean Shishkoff-Eisenbart. We were both seniors in high school. We went to [her school’s] prom because it was at a better place. Prom was held at The Drank Hotel in Chicago and our theme was ‘Cherish’ by Kool and the Gang. The prom was amazing, except some people got really sick from the salad. It turned out they used dandelion green and some people were allergic. After prom, we took a cruise on the Chicago Harbor and the next day we went to Great America. That was really fun. All in all, it was a fantastic time. Thirty-two years later, we are still best friends! I encourage everyone to go to their prom; it’s a regret later in life if prom is missed.”

Photo Provided

Mrs. Botts:
“This is a photo of my senior prom in May 2002. We took school buses to a banquet hall at the Holiday Inn. Afterwards, we all set up tents and camped in a friend’s backyard, even though it was less than 40 degrees that night. Fifteen years later, I’m married to my date, and I still own the bow tie. My kids have used it as a dress-up toy on occasion.”

Photo Provided

Mrs. Sanchez: “This picture is from my prom junior year. My boyfriend went to school where my mom taught. I went to his prom, but didn’t know anyone, and was forced to take pictures with my mom’s teacher friends (who were my chaperones and watched me like a hawk!) and a girl from my travel soccer team. My boyfriend broke up with me 2 weeks after prom. #fail”

Photo Provided

Mr. Trottier: “My date’s name was Themi Psarras, and I was originally supposed to go with the most popular girl in school, but she ended up going with someone three years older and out of high school. It could not have worked out better, as Themi and I had an amazing time at Prom, dancing like fools all night.”

Photo Provided

Mr. Pettorini:  These are my junior and senior prom pics, respectively. Both proms were in Chicago at the Marriot hotel. We took limos, talked my parents into staying at a hotel, and threw a massive party at my house. Classic high school.”

Photo Provided

Ms. Dainko: “This was my junior year prom. At some point during the night, my date Alex asked me to be his girlfriend, and he thought I said ‘yes,’ but I actually didn’t hear him. He went around for a few days after telling people that we were a couple, and I found out through word of mouth. I didn’t mind, though, but he did have to officially ask me a second time. This relationship didn’t last too long, as I broke up with him at the end of the summer. After that, my friend Lindsay dated him, and also dumped him. After that, my friend Ellen dated him, and also dumped him. Apparently for Christmas that year, his family gave him a framed photo of the three of us (from this same prom night) and a hammer. I also heard we were dubbed the ‘Bermuda Triangle’ at his house.”

Photo Provided

Mrs. Zermeño: “This is a picture of me and my husband, Eduardo, at our senior prom (Warren Township High School in Gurnee, IL, year 2006), however we didn’t go to prom together.  He was planning on asking me to prom, but someone else asked me first.  We went with a big group of my friends, including Eduardo, but when we got to prom Jack and I didn’t really hang out much.  Eduardo and I actually ended up hanging out all night, started dating after that, and the rest is history.”

Photo Provided

Mrs. Fleischauer: “During prom, a kid named Josh V. brought a cane (it was the thing to do) and waved it around during a song and hit me in the face. It ended up cutting my lip and I was bleeding, but it was okay because he ended up giving me a hug. He was really cute and everyone had a crush on him.”

Photo Provided

Mrs. Varela: “The theme for my prom was ‘What a Wonderful World,’ DMX, Ja Rule and 50 Cent were the rage and we listened to the WHOLE CD in our cars every night driving around! I went to Homewood-Flossmoor High School in the South Suburbs. I remember that getting a bouquet and not a corsage from your date was a huge deal at the time. I’m not sure what is cool now??”