Stick With It

February is here and you might be experiencing a bit of a fitness slump. Some RLHS teachers offer some advice on how to get up and go—even when the couch is calling your name.

www.pexabay.com

Going for a jog one day and working out with kettle bell weights the next, sometimes all you need is to switch up your routine to stave off boredom and keep moving those muscles.

Berenice Lazaro, Staff writer

Most people want to get fit quickly and are motivated to start a healthy lifestyle, especially after holidays like New Years where many people have resolutions to go to the gym daily. The beginning of January begins with a sea of people ready to began their fitness transformation, yet slowly the amount of people at the gym begins to dwindle. This loss of interest can happen for many reasons—sometimes they don’t have a support system, they’re bored with their workout, or they’re not seeing results. Whether the purpose of exercising is to stay healthy or the start of a resolution, here’s a bit of guidance from some of Round Lake High School teachers on how start—and stay—on the road to fitness.

• Have a reward system. I set a large goal and then small goals to make the large goal achievable,”  said Ms. Nicole Herchenbach, a physical education teacher and advisor to the Panthers Health and Wellness after school club at Round Lake High School. “When I achieve each small goal, I will reward myself with something small and once I get to the large goal at the end maybe a new piece of clothing or pair of shoes.” Just like Herchenbach, create a reward system that works best like a long bath, a movie marathon, or new clothes; anything that adds value to why a goal should be achieved.
  • Surround yourself with positive words and people. At the end of workouts, Herchenbach gathers students involved in Health and Wellness Club for a short cheer. I bring my students in to talk about the good things I saw that day and what we can improve on,” Herchenbach said. “We also break it down by saying, ‘On the count of three, Panthers!’ or ‘Champions!’ I want my students to know that I appreciate their hard work and think that they are capable of being champions.” Surrounding oneself with positive people can help a person see the improvements and gains they’re making, which can boost their motivation to keep on hitting the gym or do a simple work out video after school. “Having a workout buddy holds you accountable to somebody else when you feel you do not have the energy,” said Mr. Joe Fleischauer, an English teacher at RLHS who works out regularly. “Those people will lift you up when you are tired.”
  • Look for specific workouts.  If someone is looking just to stay fit, then eating healthy and a simple workout regimen like jogging or walking daily may be the way to go. But if a person specifically wants to get better in different areas in their body, they should look into different workout methods. Take Herchenbach, for example: “I participate in a variety of activities to exercise which include Crossfit, Olympic Weightlifting, running (currently training for a half marathon), basketball and rowing.”
  • Reflect.  “The strongest motivation is intrinsic motivation, or doing things for internal gratification, so I think more important than [telling yourself] ‘good job’ is to make people understand the personal value that lifting and being healthy truly has,”said Mr. Jeffrey Baird, psychology and global studies teacher, football coach, and wrestling coach at RLHS . Working out should mean more than having an amazing body to show off; working out should also be a big factor to wanting to be healthy.
  • Keep pushing. “I try to remind myself it’s just one more lift or a couple more miles and then I’m done for the day,”said Herchenbach “I tell myself I’ll be happy if I finish instead of quitting.”

Consider involving some of these tips and your motivation for fitness will continue to climb. Don’t be a person who makes plans and does not execute them. Take these useful tips, live in the now, and make that resolution a reality.