Marching To Make Awareness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marching To Make Awareness

Protesters carry signs proclaiming that women's rights are human rights at the Women's March in Chicago.

Rita Dainko

Rita Dainko

Rita Dainko

Ana Hernandez, Staff Writer

On Jan. 21, 2017, nearly five million people marched around the world in order to create awareness for human rights. Although it has been four weeks since this influential event, to this day, the marching continues. Women are continuing to unite together to bring awareness to humans rights issues. They are marching to bring more awareness to today’s world: fighting for their rights. 

It all began on a Tuesday morning in December in Washington, D.C. According to an article from The Washington Post, the day after President Donald Trump’s election, a retired lawyer, Teresa Shook created an event page on Facebook for a women’s march and it ballooned into a huge event. Shook took on the help of experienced activists to create the Women’s March on Washington. Right after the day President Trump was inaugurated, women began marching to make awareness over human rights issues. Out of all the marches that went on and all the people that attended, two teachers from District 116 joined together to march and make awareness.

The Women’s March on Washington spread with 673 individual marches involving nearly five million participants in places like Ireland, Mexico, Greece, Canada, France, Denmark, Brazil, Argentina, and Australia.  Despite the march’s name, these marches were open wide to anyone willing to join and make awareness. “There were an estimated quarter of a million people at the Chicago march alone, and a lot of men marching alongside women,” said Ms. Rita Dainko, who teaches French and Spanish at Round Lake High School and participated in the Women’s March Chicago.  

Mrs. Michelle Turek, who teaches art at Village Elementary School, traveled to the march in Washington D.C. and agrees that there were far more than just women attending the marches. “There were so many people,” she exclaimed. “Families, dogs, babies, college students, children, teenagers, senior citizens, men, not just women in attendance.”She also added that, “As people marched, there were crowds of people of all ages lining the streets. Dogs were dressed up as George Washington and the Statue of Liberty, and children were marching with their own handmade signs.”

These marches were done to help make awareness for all the issues going on. Many people came out for many reasons like Black Lives Matter, refugees, and climate change. According to Dainko, however, some people came out for the march in Chicago with the wrong intentions.  “It seemed like the greatest motivator for attendees was not love of women’s rights, but hatred of Donald Trump,” she said. “For every protester with a sign about equal treatment, peace and love, there was another sign with a grotesque drawing of him.” Many people came out to march away their madness over President Trump and forgot what the real true issues were.

As a part of the women’s march, people will continue to gather for the first 10 days of February to figure out how they can continue creating awareness with the issues going on. Some of the organizers of the Women’s March Washington have been trying real hard to keep their voice running around the world by setting up events across the countries.