New Policies, New Protests

Taylor Sears

More stories from Taylor Sears

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Policies, New Protests

Matt Dunham

Matt Dunham

Matt Dunham

The inauguration of President Donald Trump Jan. 20, has brought a lot of changes to immigration policies. President Trump has begun to talk about the process of building the wall on the border of Mexico and perhaps, most notably, foreign refugees from countries like Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen were blocked entrance from the United States after President Trump signed an executive order Jan. 29. The new changes have caused outrage. Protests took place in airports all over the world to spread awareness that President Trump should not have made these changes.

Many different emotional reactions have come from these changes. Some are fearful for their futures, while others feel that President Trump is taking the best next steps to ensure our safety and make us feel secure. Some felt compelled to march and protest in the past month, while others have decided to sit back and give Trump a chance.

Since the beginning of Trump’s presidential campaign in 2015, he has stated many times that he wanted to build a wall along the border of Mexico to to keep the U.S. safe from illegal immigrants. Since signing the executive order Jan. 25, the official planning process of the wall has begun, which has resulted in many different reactions. Some people believe that this wall can help the country and keep everyone safe. From a Feb. 9, 2017 article titled “Building Trump’s wall: For Texans, it’s complicated,” a supporter of Trump named Robert Cameron said, “There is a problem, and anything to throw at it to fix the problem is good and people want a solution.”

For others, the situation is not so cut and dry. In fact, the idea of a wall has very personal implications for some of our students at Round Lake High School. “I’m not too sure how to react to this, but I can say that I am a little terrified of the outcome for not only my family but others as well,” an RLHS student said. The student wishes to remain anonymous in order to protect the privacy of her family. “I know that going to and from Mexico was really hard for our family and this will only make it harder. I wish people would understand that a little more.” Having this emotional effect on only one policy can have a huge impact on how many look at the leader of this country.

Another major change President Trump has already signed for is the new temporary Travel Ban for the countries of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. These countries have been known for training, harboring and exporting terrorism. The Official President Trump’s websites states, “This travel ban is not about religion – this is about keeping our country safe.” President Trump has always stated that he will always put America’s safety first and he feels this is the best way to do so.

Citizens of the U.S believed otherwise, however, as they protested in airports and marched in  Washington and many other major cities across the nation. Many people carried signs saying that the U.S is not racist and should accept all in the country, no matter what religion. The New York Times author Andy Newman posted on Jan. 29, 2017 called Highlights: Reaction to Trump’s Travel Ban, talks about a protest in a San Francisco airport by saying, “Several thousand protesters accompanied by a brass band and drummers paraded past check-in counters, chanting, ‘Say it loud, say it clear, refugees are welcome here!’” Uniting all people protesting across the nation to get their message heard that they do not agree with President Trump’s latest policy.

Recently, the travel ban was rejected by a three-judge panel Feb. 9. The panel believes that there is no valid evidence that the seven countries have not committed any acts of terrorism in the United States. New York Times author Adam Liptak writes, “The court ruling did not affect one part of the executive order: the cap of 50,000 refugees to be admitted in the 2017 fiscal year.” The policy applies still, but the law will not be as enforced. President Trump was not happy about the outcome of this meeting with the judge panel and believes that they have made the wrong decision. He went to Twitter to tweet, “SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!” Only one day after this was established, BBC news has reported that Trump has already came to the conclusion of signing a new travel ban.