Technology and its Effects on Education

Bernice+Lazaro+

Zainy Tareen

Bernice Lazaro

Zainy Tareen, Staff Writer

The classroom was quiet as the students’ sat busily staring into their own brightly-lit screen, trying to finish their work and send it to the teacher before the bell rang. The clock was ticking and the sound of keyboards tapping filled the air.

Students around the world are using technology more than ever in this century. Technology has made education a much faster and diverse way to learn, causing many schools to use it in their everyday classes. Teachers are finding it easier to hand out homework online rather than give it the old-fashioned way on paper. Learning new things is much easier with a click of a button or a scroll of a screen. Everyone is connected and that makes it easier to get advice. Technology seems to be the savior of this generation; however, it’s also a big problem. Technology makes it hard for some students to pay attention in class. Texting, calling and social media allows students to stay in touch, but it also is a interruption when students are expected to stay focused and participate in class.

Over half the world’s population uses the internet daily, and many of those users are students. Eighty-eight percent of American teens, ages 13 to 17 have access to a mobile phone (and thereby the internet), according to Pew Research Center Study released in April 2016, which gives students a huge step up when it comes to learning.  Most schools have student portals like Skyward, which allows students to check their grades daily. Students can email their teachers with questions and get help from peers all through digital learning platforms like Haiku and Google Classroom.

Students of this generation have education easy because of technology. In the past, students had to struggle. For simple answers, students would have to go to the library, but now students can find all the information they need in the back pocket of their jeans. “A simple Google search or a search of YouTube videos will provide students with multiple ways of learning a topic from someone other than their own teacher,” said Scott Blecha, a math teacher at Round Lake High School. “A student is no longer limited to only their teacher and classmates as resources.”

According to PBS LearningMedia research, 74% of teachers surveyed that using classroom technology motivates students to learn. “I use my phone during school to research definitions of words,” said Mayra Heredia, a sophomore at RLHS, “However, I will mostly get distracted in reading comics or looking at J-hope pictures.” As using phones during class becomes a habit many student have to go through the consequences. As students are being kicked out of class at Campbell College just because they use their phones during class. The school has prohibited any type of technology unless the teacher says so and also disconnects the internet during exams.

Education is also negatively affected by technology because it can become a distraction. Students might use their phones to play games or text friends while in class, causing them to not pay attention to their lesson. A study researched by Journal of Media Education discovered that most students use a fifth of their time in class to do unrelated work on their phones, and 86 percent of that time is spent texting other students Many of these students tend to not understand during class because they are distracted from discussions. “Students are distracted by all kinds of things just as dogs are distracted by squirrels,” said Alan Dorfman, a chemistry teacher at RLHS. “Students think they can hear two things at once, [but unfortunately that’s impossible.”
    Technology can have its good effects, but if students can’t manage their time and curb their seeming addition to their phones, it can become a problem. Teachers are being exhausted on asking students to put their phones away. But when in task technology can students learn on their own pace, with developing software. Students can get extra help or tips that can show where students improve or lack. Schools and students should know about the effects of technology on education because schools can see how much it improves learning. Students can see how much technology distracts them from school making them lose a valuable education. Brightly lit screens can show a class at work or how many students can be distracted by technology. Either technology has a good or bad affect every new generation will be affected by it.