Places for Passerbys

Since classes are getting distracted, Round Lake High School authorities have made a new rule regarding students without a ninth hour.

This is an empty hallway during ninth hour, which is what the new rule is trying to make happen.

anonymous

Kendra Kreger, Staff Writer

A girl is in class during ninth hour period and trying to focus on what she is reading, but can’t because there is a group of people in the hallway laughing like hyenas. She looks at the clock and realizes there are only five more minutes until the bell rings, and still can’t concentrate due to the noise. Her teacher notices that she is having trouble and confronts the group that is making the ruckus, which doesn’t go anywhere because they are only unnecessarily disrespectful and insubordinate.

Round Lake High School is now cracking down on students without a ninth hour class since some are abusing privileges and are impacting others that need to focus on their curriculums. Some teachers are having a problem with students being loud and obnoxious in the hallways while they are trying to teach at RLHS, and have noticed a difference between the first and second semesters. In the first half, although students were encouraged not to roam the hallways during the first and ninth hour, a few of them haven’t been affected by these encouragements. There have been reports of students causing trouble in the halls and distracting other students in class, and the school board has chosen to act upon those reports by creating a new policy. Since this policy has been in use, teachers are noticing a change of disruptions from others during their classes.

Assistant principal at RLHS stated that the authority at the high school has chosen to eliminate the opportunities for students to be in places they should not be at particular times, like in the hallways during ninth hour. He said that many students had been distracted by others making noises in the hallways, so their solution to this problem was to create a policy about where students need to be during class hours, even if they do not have a class. “Ninth period is my least favorite time,” Pope says. “There’s a lot of students who don’t want to leave because it’s too cold to walk, so they have to wait for a ride. However, they don’t want to wait where they are supposed. We don’t want people walking around in the building because they need supervision. We aren’t a babysitting service; we are a high school.”

Pope also stated how the policy works, “This new policy makes it to where everyone has a place to be. We have rosters for all of the students that are in activities and sports. The kids that are waiting for sports have to go to the choir room, where the kids that are waiting for a club have to go to a classroom in the D-hall. This way, we know where everyone is, and there aren’t any distractions to other classes in the hallways. If students want to stay in the building after school or during a ninth hour, we can either give them an actual class or they can join something. We love it when students join something.”

There are also reports of events where students stopped classes by being loud and causing a fuss. Juli Augsburger, a chemistry teacher that has been teaching at RLHS for 30 years, has had to deal with about 12 class distractions this past year, caused by students in the hallways during her ninth hour class. “I often close my door to ignore the noise from the hall, although there has been a noticeable decrease in many of the distractions to my class this semester,” Augsburger says. “Students in my class have looked out into the hallway at the disturbances while I’m trying to teach, and some people even some into my classroom without my permission. Usually, when I try to talk to them about being loud, half of them ignore me or mouth off, but if someone like security tells them to leave, they just come back the next day. The policy seems okay, but the problem usually involves students that are not participating in after school activities. Some students hang out during the ninth hour and disturb classes because they can, no consequences for being obnoxious.”

This new policy can decrease the number of students that are a distraction to classes and increase the number of students that are concentrated in classes. Since everyone has places to be and things to do, it will do exactly that, once people are informed about it.