There’s An App For That

An interactive new play at RLHS makes the audience think about just how much control technology has over our lives.

Photo Provided

Main character Marjan (played by Kathia Torres) is questioned by one of her defense attorneys (played by Ivan Barrios) in RLHS’s production “The Compass,” which plays Jan. 26 and Jan. 27.

April Flitman-Robbins, Staff Writer

Would you download an app that would make decisions for you? The play “The Compass” explores this very idea. The main character, Marjan uses the app to make a tough decision and she ends up on trial for it, and the jury must decide who is truly responsible—Marjan or the app.

Round Lake Senior High School black box theatre troupe, directed by RLHS drama and English teacher Amelia Kmiec, will perform this engaging, interactive play Jan. 26 at 4 p.m. and January 27 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. The crew and cast have been working hard to prepare for the show. They are also very excited to perform and perhaps open a few people’s eyes to some tough questions about society and how our current generation responds to technology.

“What really makes this play stand out is that it’s an interactive play,” said Senior Kevin Barrera who plays the principal, one of Compass’s entrepreneurs, and Juror 1. “Basically, the audience will be able to choose whether Marjan is guilty or not.”

“How the audience gets to decide is that we have jurors that go into the audience and have different sections where they actually talk to them, [then] the audience gets to [vote on the verdict], so basically they kind of control that character,” said Sophomore Skylar Wagner who plays Ada Martinez and Juror 12.

“The Compass” definitely shows how much people depend on their laptops and cell phones for just about every point in their lives. As it is, run a search for decision-making apps in any app store, and you will get apps like Choicemap, Decision Buddy, The Ultimate Decision Maker to choose from. Even more frightening, in 2018, Google plans to launch an app similar to Compass, which supposedly keeps track of users’ personal information and develops an algorithm based on their decisions and actions in the past.

“[This play tells you to] be more careful about your decisions and be conscious of your choices” said Junior Katherine Ziemann, the student assistant manager for the play.

This is the first time this groundbreaking play has ever been performed by a group of high school students. Tickets are $2 for students and $3 for adults.